Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Skillet Gnocchi with White Beans and Spinach

My folks are not adventurous eaters, and so it was only reluctantly that they agreed to try this gnocchi. After all, gnocchi? What's a gnocchi? Do I really want to stick in my mouth something that begins with a silent "g"?



(I know, I know, gnocchi really isn't all that exotic these days, but it's my parents, they still think a thong is something you wear on your feet.)


If you're reading this, Mom...love you! Don't disown me!

So it was especially gratifying when they tried this dish and loved it. And really, what's not to love? Slices of caramelized onion, thick pillows of sweet potato pasta, wilted spinach, and melted cheese, all in a thick, chunky tomato sauce.




Recipe: Skillet Gnocchi with Spinach and White Beans

From Eating Well's Skillet Gnocchi with Chard and White Beans

Ingredients


1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 16-ounce package shelf-stable gnocchi  (This is what I used)
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
6 cups chopped chard leaves, (about 1 small bunch) or spinach
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt (my add-in)
 

Directions

 
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring, until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes. The recipe says nothing about adding salt, but me, I thought it needed some.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment